Environment & Planning Lawyer
Environment & Planning Team
1-3 Years' Experience
Date Posted: 27 January 2021
Environment and planning graduate or junior lawyer (1-3 years) needed for growing specialist major projects firm:
- exposure to high profile development projects and significant environmental matters
- work with leading barristers and technical experts on NSW Land and Environment Court litigation
- gain additional experience with our Construction Group and our Property Group
- excellent clientele and opportunities for progression
- mentoring from a dynamic young team leader and an experienced practice group
- collegiate environment with a ‘work hard, play hard’ culture
- work for one of the best partners in the development space
About the role
With offices located at Barangaroo in Sydney, Blackstone Waterhouse is a boutique property, planning and construction law firm. We act for a broad range of clients including major international and national developers, energy companies and industrial facility owners.
Our Environment and Planning Group enjoys ‘top-tier’ clientele involved across the spectrum of:
- residential, commercial and industrial development and urban renewal projects;
- operation of industrial facilities (such as waste and energy facilities);
- contaminated land disputes;
- environmental incidents; and
- renewable energy.
Reporting to the head of Environment & Planning, this role will include assisting with:
- litigation in the NSW Land and Environment Court (including Classes 1, 3, 4 and 5);
- transactions involving commercial premises, industrial facilities and contaminated land;
- advising on development projects including planning pathways and processes;
- advising on the application of conditions of development consents and Environment Protection Licences; and
- strategic advice and dealing with regulators following environmental incidents.
Our Property, Environment & Planning and Construction teams work closely together. You may be called on to assist the Construction or Property Group. If you have a particular interest in working more broadly across 2 or 3 Groups, please let us know in your application.
We also encourage all our team members to get involved in business development, innovation and firm culture.
You should be motivated to deliver excellence in your work by:
- excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- a willingness to learn;
- attention to detail, even when under time pressure;
- working efficiently and meeting deadlines;
- showing initiative; and
- working effectively both independently and as part of a team.
1-3 years’ experience in environment and/or planning law at a reputable firm is preferred. However, applicants with less experience will be considered if they can demonstrate a passion for environment and planning law.
Study or previous work experience in environmental or planning fields (whether or not in law) will be considered favourably.
Solid academics from a reputable university are essential.
This is a great opportunity for a junior lawyer committed to excellence in environment & planning law.
The boutique firm environment gives junior lawyers broader experience and more autonomy over their work than is typically experienced in large firms. You have the opportunity to also gain experience in our Construction and Property Groups.
This is your chance to learn from exceptional, ex-top tier lawyers who are truly interested in teaching and mentoring you. A competitive salary is on offer together with a rare opportunity to develop your career within a supportive and fun environment.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your covering letter, CV and academic transcripts to email@example.com